Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Okay, quick question... Do you say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?" And a follow-up question if you are so inclined... Do you have a specific reason?

Here's my deal: I am a devout Christ-follower. So, this time of year carries a lot more weight than just the gifts, the "holiday season", etc. However, let's leave religiosity out of it. Christmas is a holiday because of Christ's birth. Whether you follow Him or not, that is the history and purpose. In my mind, saying "Merry Christmas" doesn't say anything about your religious state.

If you say "Happy Holidays," I'm not mad at ya. It just drives me nuts when people jump on the wagon of this and other issues like it. If you can't say "Merry Christmas" or if you buy "Holiday Trees" because of your religious views then I have to tell you that you're screwed in lots of other areas. You can't buy a calendar again... chances are December 25th says "Christmas" or "Christmas Day." Oh, and surely you don't take Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day off of work. Then your boycott on the "sayings" wouldn't hold any water.

I'm just saying that regardless of your spiritual/religious values, it's Christmas! If you want to boycott the fact that it has the word "Christ" in it, then go all the way!!! Work all day on the 24th and 25th... by yourself. Don't give or receive any gifts.

By the way, I'm going to start saying "Happy Summer Holiday" for July 4th. I don't want to be put in a box. We moved over here from England to celebrate freedom... not to have things forced upon us... like what I should call a holiday or the greeting I should say in celebration of said holiday. Now, isn't that stupid???

1 comment:

  1. If Christmas were the exclusive holiday during the period, then I could see your point. But that's not the case. Between Thanksgiving and New Years, which is what I see as the holiday season, you have three major US holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

    Hanukkah begins December 11 in 2009 and lasts for eight days.

    Catholics observe St. Lucy Day on December 13th.

    On or about December 22nd, Pagans observe the winter solstice.

    Observed in he UK, Canada, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, West Virginia and Arkansas is Boxing Day on the 26th.

    Kwanza also begins on the 26th for a six day run.

    Some see Christmas and New Years Eve as holidays also.

    ReplyDelete